Its a matter of Perspective

Hello my fellow readers, I come to bring you......a matter of perspective. What's that you say? Perspective? Where are you going with this, Natalie? 
Let's look at the definition of the word perspective. The dictionary defines this word as:

A particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view.

And in writing, that is exactly what we do. In some cases, we write things from the character's point of view or their perspective. I was given my first opportunity to write from a perspective when I was in high school, studying the Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis. One of my assignments was to write the argument of Charn's destruction from the point of view of the Queen's sister. Trust me, it was not an easy task to do but completely fun in the long run. Here's what I mean though, I will first give you the original written scene from Magician's Nephew itself, and then the perspective I had written in high school on the exact same scene. *Please note that all of the characters, names, and original text are from Clive Staples Lewis' Magician's Nephew. All Rights Reserved.*

“It was my sister’s fault,” said the Queen. “She drove me to it. May the curse off all the powers rest upon her forever! At any moment I was ready to make peace-yes and to spare her life too, if only she would yield me the throne. But she would not. Her pride has destroyed the whole world. Even after the war had begun, there was a solemn promise that neither side would use Magic. But when she broke her promise, what could I do? Fool! As if she did not know that I had the secret to the Deplorable Word. Did she think-she was always a weakling-that I would not use it?
“What was it?” said Digory
“That was the secret of secrets,” said the queen Jadis
“It had long been known to the great kings of our race that there was a word which, if spoken with the proper ceremonies, would destroy all living things except the one who spoke it. But the ancient kings were weak and soft-hearted and bound themselves and all who should come after them with great oaths ever even to seek after the knowledge of that word. But I learned it in a secret place and paid a terrible price to learn it. I did not use it until she forced me to it. I fought to overcome her by every other means. I poured out the blood of my armies like water-”
“Beast!” muttered Polly
“The last great battle,” said the Queen, “raged for three days here in Charn itself. For three days I looked down upon it from this very spot. I did not use my power till the last of my soldiers had fallen, and the accursed woman, my sister, at the head of her rebels was halfway up those great stairs that lead up from the city to the terrace. Then I waited till we were so close that we could see one another’s faces. She flashed her horrible, wicked eyes at me and said, “Victory.” “Yes” said I, “Victory, but not yours.” Then I spoke the Deplorable Word. A moment later I was the only living thing beneath the sun.”
Beautiful right? Now here's the Queens sister's perspective on the town's destruction if she had been able to tell her side of the story, or her perspective that I had written in high school.
“My fault, the destruction of Charn was never my fault,” said the Queen’s sister. “When she had the audacity to say that I drove her to war. Then she goes and curses me saying that all the powers rest upon me forever! Peace? She wasn’t thinking about peace all that she had concern about was, if I was going to yield to her my throne. My throne.that is all she ever wanted. By promising to spare my life; she would have the throne? No! It was her pride that has destroyed the whole world, not mine. After the war had begun, that solemn promise that neither side would use Magic, she broke, not I. Claiming that I was the fool! Of course I knew that she had more magic than I! I never knew that she had the secret to the Deplorable Word. By lowering me down to a weakling, in which I was not, I had every notion that she would use it someday. The word was the secret of secrets, but let me tell you why all of the great kings of our race were “weak and soft-hearted” because they knew the power and the effect such a word would have on the world. That is why all of the ancient kings had bound themselves to not even seek after the word. But she had learned it in a secret place and paid a terrible price to learn it and how to say it with the proper ceremonies to destroy everything except her. I did not force her to use it, she did it by her own free will. Even though she tried to overcome me by every other means, she sure didn’t have to sacrifice her army and pour out their blood like water. I remember the last great battle of Charn well, it raged for three days in the city itself. For three days she looked down upon it from the main entrance of the castle. She used her power even till the last of her soldiers had fallen, and I, her accursed sister, at the head of my soldiers whom she claims as rebels was halfway up those great stairs that lead from the city to the terrace. She waited until we were so close that we could see one another’s faces did she confront me. I flashed my eyes at her and said, “Victory.” “Yes,” said she, “Victory, but not yours.” It was then that she spoke the Deplorable Word. A moment later she was the only living thing beneath the sun.” “So the destruction of Charn was her fault. Not….mine

No comments:

Post a Comment