God Can Use Our Vulnerable Writing~ Guest post by Sara Willoughby



I didn’t want to post it. The moment I clicked send, I began to second guess myself. I tried to assure myself that it was in God’s hands, and I put it to the back of my mind for a few days. Except that two days later, none of the three people I’d sent the article to had responded. Which wasn’t entirely unusual, but...

The doubts started all over again.

Finally, as I was lying in bed one night, I decided that if no one had responded by morning, I would just switch it out with another one I already had written, and it would be fine. I could stop worrying about it, and no one would see it. Perfect.

However, the next morning, when I checked my email, two of the people had responded overnight! One of them had even written an unusually long email, expounding on the topic. She told me that she had been nearly in tears from reading my article. Encouraged, I decided to let it be, and before I had time to change my mind again, my fellow writer had published it. By the time I began to question my writing again, I didn’t have the courage to ask them to swap it out. Plus, I really felt like God wanted it this specific article there (however much I did not).

I’d better explain. The reason I didn’t want it read in the first place was simply because of my own pride and humiliation at what it said. In the article, I admitted a weakness of mine that felt really personal, and I was afraid people would take it the wrong way.

Well, now it was published, and I couldn’t really do much about it very easily. It got a normal amount of likes, and I started to breathe a sigh of relief. At least it wasn’t standing out as either better or worse than my usual posts. But then, a stranger reblogged it, and a day or two later another friend of mine asked if she could reblog the article. I’d never had any piece of my writing reblogged before! God had gotten His point across. He was going to use this piece of writing, despite my doubts and humiliation. It wasn’t about me.

Have you been in a similar place? Something I’ve noticed is that whenever I have an article or a blog post that I think has just flopped, that didn’t turn out how I wanted it to- those seem to be the pieces that God uses the most. Other bloggers I’ve talked to have noticed the same thing. It shows that it definitely isn’t in our own strength, or by own own eloquence or genius that those pieces were done, but by His power, and for His glory. (1 Cor 1:17 & 2:1).

Writing is incredibly vulnerable, whether we choose to purposely write that way or not. Even in fiction, I’ve noticed this as well! Both my sister and some of my best friends are fiction writers, and when I read their writing, I come across many parts when I see them in their characters. And not just their personality or something. No, I see very vulnerable parts of them that they would never have told the world otherwise.

When we write, we allow the reader to view and analyze how we see the world. They get to see things through our eyes, and we can’t hide much, no matter how hard we try. But guess what? That’s okay. God can use that. God can use our vulnerability. Vulnerability is a key to writing: in fiction, it makes things so much more real, and in nonfiction, it gains both so much more trust from your readers, and truth in your writing when you write things that you’ve personally experienced, felt, or gone through.

I know sometimes it’s hard, and that we really don’t want to, but will you learn from my situation, and allow God to use your writing for His glory? Even the parts that you really don’t want to share?

I’m not saying that there aren’t pieces of our writing that we shouldn’t keep to ourselves. I have a whole folder (or two) of writing that no one at all has read, nor do I intend to let anyone else read. And that’s okay too! I just wanted to share with you the lesson God has been teaching me recently: that He can use my vulnerable writing.
Sara Willoughby is a 16-year-old girl who loves to write and have adventures. She is a TCK, a Lymie, and a B.R.I.G.H.T. Lights leader. She writes for Romans535Blog, FoundWhoIAm, and Th!nk Magazine.

2 comments:

  1. This is so true! Thanks for the encouragement:)
    C.g.K

    ReplyDelete