Why It's Important to Share Your Writing

One of the hardest things for a writer (other than writing), is working up the courage to start sharing our work with friends, family, and strangers. It’s scary, because we wonder if maybe everything we’ve worked so hard on isn’t as good as we thought. It’s something that’ll help you grow, though, and today I’m going to tell you why.

Trust me, everyone feels that same doubt. I can’t tell you how long it took me to finally show something to my sister, my mom, and then later everyone else I was close to. This is coming from a homeschooler who grew up having my mom read every paper, every project, and every piece of work I ever wrote for school.
This was different, though. This was something I cared about, something I’d poured myself into. I sat there, nervously waiting as she read the article, wondering if she liked it or if it was actually any good. With each passing second I grew more terrified, until finally she looked up, smiled, and said four words that immediately washed all my fears away:
“This is really great!”
After that, it was different. I was still occasionally anxious about sharing things, but if I felt satisfied with it, I knew now that others probably would be too. It wasn’t that I was seeking gratification from their opinions; I just genuinely wanted to know if it was any good at all.
But the main point today is not what happened when I shared my work, but what happened after, is something that is incredibly important as a writer.
I now had consistent, honest feedback. I had even more support. Most importantly, I had accountability from people I see every single day.
It had seemed like such a little thing before, like it didn’t really matter that much if I showed my family just yet. I always thought waiting a little longer wouldn’t make any difference.
Now, however, I know better.

My family has always believed in honest feedback. If something wasn’t that great, we don’t butter it up and give each other false confidence. We’d still support them, but encourage them to do better. Still, if there were flaws or issues, we’d point them out. We know that’s the only way to truly grow in anything.
As for support, that was a very noticeable change. My sister shared my blog on her Facebook, which allowed countless friends and family members to suddenly access my writing, and in turn share it themselves. This made a massive impact on my previously almost non-existent platform, something that is pretty important. This in turn increased my accountability even more.
Suddenly there were people waiting for me to post things and waiting to read them. My blog was no longer a side project, it was something that I could truly focus on now. I could start building up my platform there, and prepare for the day when I finally release a larger piece of work.

So, to conclude this post, I’ll get to the main point. Friends, don’t be afraid to share your work with family and friends. Everyone has those initial nerves, but we’ve got to push past them.
We need feedback to grow, to shape our stories and master our craft. We need to support to keep us accountable, advise us, and encourage us when we’re in a slump. The only way we can get that is by sharing our work.

Start with something small, if you need to, or something you’re proud of or have already received some feedback (from a fellow writer or a blog follower?) on. Find something and commit to sharing it with your family. I think you’ll be surprised at how beneficial it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment